This article has been supplied by the Overseas Students Ombudsman.  For more information please visit their website

There are many different types of issues that may arise between students and their  education providers.

You may find that after making a complaint with your education provider, that you are unable to resolve your complaint satisfactorily.

Below is a list of organisations who can assist you with various types of complaints.

It is also important that as a student, you do everything in your power to ensure that you protect your rights and that you follow the correct procedures.  Before you contact any of these organisations, make sure you have followed these steps to try to resolve a problem with your education provider.

Who can I contact for help?

If you have a problem you cannot resolve with your education provider, you can contact these complaint handling-bodies…

Students enrolled in private institutions unable to resolve their complaint with their education provider can seek assistance from the Overseas Students Ombudsman.

For problems with your public university, TAFE college, institute or school, contact the State or Territory Ombudsman.

For complaints about the quality of your course, teachers or training facilities, contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) or the Tertiary Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA)

If your provider owes you a refund due to a student visa refusal but has not paid within four weeks, contact the Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

If your provider has closed and you need help finding a new provider or applying for a refund, contact the Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

If you have a complaint about racism or discrimination, contact the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

If you have a work rights problem, contact the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO)

If you have questions about your student visa, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

If you need immigration advice and assistance applying for a visa, contact a registered migration agent. To find an agent, see (Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)

If you need an education agent to help you choose a course or enrol with a provider, see



Ombudsman logoFor more information, head to the Overseas Students Ombudsman’s website and see Making a Complaint with the OSO