Finding part-time work can sometimes be difficult, especially if you’re studying full-time. It can often be a catch-22; you can’t get the job unless you have the skills, and you can’t get the skills unless you have the job. Luckily, there are many short courses available that can help you develop the skills that employers want to see. Many of the courses can be easily transferred from the part-time workplace into something more permanent. They can also provide some basic life skills and can even be fun to learn. Here are some short courses to help boost your chances of getting some part-time work.

Responsible Service of Alcohol

A Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate will allow you to serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, etc. and is essential if you want a job in these environments. In most states, an RSA course is easy and inexpensive to take, though in New South Wales it is a little more expensive due to the requirement of a photo card.



RSA Certificates are important for applying for a job in a bar or restaurants, but if you want your resume to stand out, why not take a mixology course? The Coffee School offers a four-hour cocktail course in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney, and the HG Coffee House offers a three-hour course in Adelaide

Responsible Service of Gaming (RSG)/Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG)

For some workers in the liquor and gaming sector, it is mandatory to have an RSG/RCG.  These courses are useful combinations with an RSA. These can vary by state so check your state’s Department of Liquor and Gaming website.

Barista Courses

If you are looking to get part-time work in a coffee shop should definitely look into a barista course. Not only will it teach you the basics of coffee-making using professional machinery, but some even come with latte art classes to help you turn your drinks into masterpieces!

Australian Barista School (VIC) is nationally accredited and also includes a coffee art class. It’s also located in Brisbane, Sydney, and Newcastle. ($129, 3 hrs)

Black Market Roaster (NSW) is located just out of Sydney and is an actual cafe where you’ll learn how to make coffee on professional machines. ($120, 3 hrs)

Barista School Perth (WA) has classes every week, with beginner’s courses to get you started and latte art for more advanced baristas. ($135, 3.5 hrs)

Ona Coffee House (ACT) doesn’t just teach you how to make coffee; you’ll also learn about the history and journey of coffee from the bean to your cup. ($140, 2 hrs)

HG Coffee House (SA)  is nationally accredited and includes a course on hygienic practices for food safety. ($295, 6.5 hrs)

Coffee School (QLD) is nationally accredited and includes a course on hygienic practices for food safety. It’s also available in Perth, Sydney, and Melbourne. ($149, 5.5 hrs)

International College of Advanced Education (NT) also teaches you how to serve coffee and advise customers on their coffee choices, which is great for work in a cafe. ($125, 4 hrs)


First Aid

First aid courses are a good addition to your resume. They show that you have the necessary skills to save a life in the case of an emergency, which is a highly desirable skill in a workplace. Potential employers may request that you have an up to date first aid certificate, so it is good to show that you have one. St John Ambulance runs one or two-day courses in every state, which is great for beginners or for those who need a refresher.









TAFE courses

Some of the largest providers of vocational training courses in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector are TAFEs (Technical And Further Education). Make sure you check your local TAFEs and community centres as they may have courses that may help with your job search. Occupational Health and Safety (sometimes called Work Health and Safety) courses are often available, but may last longer than your average short course, and may be more expensive. Some are even online, such as the How to Communicate Effectively in the Workplace unit from TAFE Brisbane.

There are many training providers online, but not all of them are nationally recognised. Check out the federal training website to see if your course is nationally accredited, and works in your state.