Want to write for us? We’re looking for writers in all cities across Australia!
Insider Guides publishes free international student guides, supplied both offshore and upon a student’s arrival in Australia. These guides help international students with all aspects of their study experience, from socialising, exploring their new city and working, to accommodation, banking and making the most out of university. The guides use the knowledge of locals to make newly arrived students feel welcome and at ease in their new home.
We publish guides for seven Australian locations (Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast), as well as produce several offshore guides for students who are still thinking about coming to Australia.
Additionally, we produce regular online content that is shared with students and institutions in our weekly EDM. Our online presence is growing significantly, and we’re hoping to seriously ramp up our digital offering in 2019.
About The Role
We’re looking for freelance writers to contribute regular content to our website. You could be writing anything from guides to the best restaurants/music festivals/adventure activities in a particular city, to informative pieces that help students navigate visa issues/renting/their future career. You might also be asked to write news-based articles from time to time.
You can generally expect to be writing around 1-2 articles per week, but we often have peak periods where a higher volume of content is required (of course, we are flexible and always happy to work around your schedule!).
Later in the year, we may engage you to contribute and/or edit content for our print guides.
Here’s what else we generally expect within the role:
- Write articles that suit our audience and really speak to the needs of international students
- Ensure content fits within our style guide
- Regularly pitch articles to the editor
- You’re a recent graduate, final-year student or professional writer looking for some additional work
- You’re comfortable writing about a range of topics and can take on briefs that fall outside your comfort zone
- You’re happy to do interviews with subjects where required (these are usually conducted over Skype, so you generally won’t be required to travel)
- You possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and can write at a level appropriate to our audience (fun and conversational, but not ridden with Australian slang)
- You’re a great researcher who can back up their work with solid sources
- You’re responsive to communication and direction
- You can work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- You possess great attention to detail
- You know your city really intimately and can offer a unique spin on where international students should be eating, drinking and exploring
- You have an active ABN
- Experience with the G Suite and/or GatherContent is a bonus but not necessary
We offer $60 per article for shorter pieces of content, such as list-style articles. Long-form articles or those requiring interviews and/or extensive research pay $80 each. If you’re good with a camera, you may also be asked to undertake some photography work. Rates will be determined during the article/photography briefing stage.
Email our editor Gemma Kaczerepa at email@example.com and provide your CV, a short cover letter, and a few writing samples.