Download our guides Preparing and planning Accommodation Money and banking Cost of living Visas Employment Health and safety Language Life in Australia Studying Getting around Travel Careers Advertise

South Australia’s Subclass 190/491 Program is Now Open

This article is sponsored by PTE Academic

South Australia’s subclass 190/491 program opened 20 July 2021 for the 2021-2022 migration year and most of the requirements have remained the same, with the addition of a program for offshore applicants with critical skills. 

The South Australian Skilled Occupation List is now available, and the state supports most occupations for skilled migration via one of their four programs:

  • Talent and Innovators Program
  • Currently working in South Australia (including long-term residents in SA)
  • International Graduate of South Australia
  • Offshore Registration of Interest – Critical Skills

What do you need to do to become eligible for the subclass 190/491 visa?

You may be able to study in South Australia (SA), work in SA, be an entrepreneur or innovator in SA, or be outside Australia with a critical skill to become eligible for a subclass 190 or 491 visa.

South Australia’s four programs are:

Study pathwayInternational Graduate of South Australia

SA supports international students who study in their state via the study and work pathway.

For most occupations, you will need to study for at least 12 months in SA and work for three months after your study has finished in a related occupation. Some more popular occupations may require 6 or 12 months of work experience after study has finished in a related occupation. If you are a high performing graduate, you may be exempt from work experience.

Work pathway Currently working in South Australia (including long-term residents in SA)

If you are currently working in SA and have been for between 6 and 24 months, depending on your occupation, you may be eligible for the subclass 190 or 491 visa. This means that if you studied in a different state and then find employment in South Australia, you may be eligible under this program.

Offshore pathwayOffshore Registration of Interest – Critical Skills

Information about this program is not available yet, but you may be eligible for it if you are outside of Australia and have a Critical Skill. You can submit a Registration of Interest application if you meet the published requirements for your occupation.

Talent and Innovators Program

If you are a high achieving graduate, entrepreneur, small business owner or employed in a critical priority sector you may be eligible for a visa in this program. This program is highly competitive.

Can I apply right now?

There are a number of steps you need to take before you find yourself ready to apply to migrate to South Australia.

To be eligible for the study, work and offshore programs, you must:

  • Have a skills assessment
  • Have suitable points
  • Meet the minimum English language requirement listed for your occupation
  • Be located in South Australia (unless invited to apply via the offshore program)
  • Have lodged an Expression of Interest, and, if in Australia, either:

1.      Studied in South Australia and worked in South Australia for at least three months in a related occupation unless exempt, or

2.      Worked in South Australia for 6 to 24 months in a related occupation.

Where to go for visa support

The Department of Home Affairs website is the first place you should seek information regarding visas in Australia. Alternatively, contact a Registered Migration Agent to have all your visa-related questions answered.

There are a few eligibility requirements to fulfil before you can apply for a subclass 190 or 491 visa. This includes proof of your English proficiency. Looking for a test to prove your English language skills? PTE Academic is accepted by the Australian Government as proof of ability when applying for your visa.