Insider Guides, joined by Paula Mills, CEO of Academy of Entrepreneurs, and Rita Do, founder of Packsy, an international student essentials service, delved into the wide world of entrepreneurship as an international student, turning your ideas and passions into careers, and becoming your own boss and controlling your career pathway.
We’ve highlighted some of this key takeaways from this webinar here.
Webinar proudly sponsored by Study Gold Coast
One key topic of the webinar was funding your startup as an international student. Rita shared her experiences when starting her business, Packsy.
The webinar also touched on the four essential skills for any entrepreneur:
- Domain expertise/tech skills
- Operational skills
- Communication skills
- Sales skills
For any entrepreneurs, finding your first paying customer is one of the biggest steps you need to take to launch your business. Paula offered her advice on marketing and promoting your product effectively.
Entrepreneurial resources for students
A number of resources to help international students seeking to start their own business were discussed throughout the webinar, including:
- Academy of Entrepreneurs YouTube
- ABN registration
- Australian Taxation Office
- Google Digital Garage
- Academy of Entrepreneurs EventBrite
- The Entrepreneur’s Handbook: 120 Great Tools and Resources for Entrepreneurs and Startups
- INC: 60 Great Tools and Resources for Entrepreneurs and Startups
- Insider Guides: How to Start a Business as an International Student
- Insider Guides: Student Stories – Launching Your Own Business in Australia
- Medium: The Startup
Communities to join:
Legal and professional advice for students
If you need advice on your workplace rights, pay, or any other employment-related issues, you can use the resources listed below:
- Fairwork Ombudsman
- Pay and Conditions Toolkit
- Your Work Rights
- Student Ombudsman
- Work Rights for students
During the webinar we polled attendees on the following questions:
- How important do you think setting goals for yourself is?
- Has this pandemic encouraged you to consider starting your own business?
- What skills do you feel are most important to an entrepreneur?
Insider Guides would like to thank Study Gold Coast for sponsoring this webinar.
Apply for up to 10 weeks accommodation on the Gold Coast with the Gold Coast Student Accommodation Grant.