When working in Australia, you have certain rights that are protected by the law.
Knowing what your entitlements are can help you understand your workplace rights, as well as your obligations to your boss.
When starting a new job, there are important things you should find out from your boss as soon as possible. These include:
– your pay rate
– whether you’re full-time, part-time or casual
– your hours of work
– which award covers your job.
Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT)
To help you calculate your pay rates and other entitlements, you can use the Fair Work Ombudsman’s free Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT).
PACT has four calculators, including a pay calculator, a shift calculator, a leave calculator, and a notice and redundancy calculator. The pay calculator calculates the base pay rates, allowances and penalty rates (including overtime) that you should be paid, based on the type of work that you do. It’s the same tool that the Fair Work Ombudsman advisers use to answer your enquiries online or over the phone.
For more information – contact the Fair Work Ombudsman
If you would like more information on your workplace rights and obligations while working in Australia, you can:
– visit www.fairwork.gov.au and check out your award, PACT, and other valuable information
– contact FWO on 13 13 94 (or 131 450 for Translating and Interpreting Service)
– register for My account – where you can submit online enquiries and save information you have searched on the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website
– stay up to date by subscribing to the Fair Work Ombudsman’s email updates.