Problems With Your Education Provider: Where To Go For Help

Education Provider Problems

This article has been supplied by the Overseas Students Ombudsman.  

There are many different types of issues that may arise between students and their education providers.

It is important that as a student, you do everything in your power to ensure that you protect your rights and that you follow the correct procedures.  Before you contact any of the organisations below, make sure you have followed the correct steps to try to resolve a problem directly with your education provider: Making A Complaint With Your Education Provider – Steps to Follow. 

You may find that after making a complaint with your education provider, that you are still unable to resolve your problem satisfactorily and that you will need support or help from outside organisations.

Who can I contact for help?

If you have a problem you cannot resolve with your education provider, you can contact these complaints handling bodies:

Students enrolled in private institutions unable to resolve their complaint with their education provider can seek assistance from the Overseas Students Ombudsman.

For problems with your public university, TAFE college, institute or school, contact the State or Territory Ombudsman.

For complaints about the quality of your course, teachers or training facilities, contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) or the Tertiary Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA)

If your provider owes you a refund due to a student visa refusal but has not paid within four weeks, contact the Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

If your provider has closed and you need help finding a new provider or applying for a refund, contact the Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

If you have a complaint about racism or discrimination, contact the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) 

If you have a work rights problem, contact the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO)

If you have questions about your student visa, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

If you need immigration advice and assistance applying for a visa, contact a registered migration agent. To find an agent, see Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)

If you need an education agent to help you choose a course or enroll with a provider, see:


Ombudsman logoFor more information, head to the Overseas Students Ombudsman’s website and see Making a Complaint with the OSO