Adelaide is one of Australia’s most treasured gems. It’s got an incredible food scene (including some delicious cheap eats!), beautiful landscapes stretching from the beach to the hills and world-class wineries. With so many things to do and see, it can be easy to forget that Adelaide also offers heaps of opportunities to escape the hustle and bustle. If you find yourself nestled in this parkland-rich city and want to unwind, here are some awesome ways to relieve stress in Adelaide.
Take a yoga class
If you need some relaxation, it may be time to get in touch with your inner zen. Yoga is a fantastic way to take a break from your busy schedule and relieve some stress. Dating back roughly 5,000 years, yoga has numerous benefits on your overall mental health, including increased energy levels, improved mood, and better management of anxiety and stress.
Keen to try yoga? Check out some of these Adelaide yoga studios.
- Human.Kind on Halifax Street – They have an introductory offer of $49 for unlimited visits for the first month – perfect for students on a budget!
- Aleenta on Rundle Street – You can attend one week of unlimited classes for $40. They also have barre and pilates classes if you’re interested in trying something different.
- The Australian School of Meditation and Yoga on Chapel Street – This beautiful studio in North Adelaide features a special introductory offer and concession prices on casual classes for students.
Have an at-home spa day
Nothing says relaxation like lounging in the comfort of your own home. Hit one of the many shops at Rundle Mall and grab yourself some goodies to relax with. From bath bombs to skincare products, LUSH has an amazing range of items that will help you melt away your worries. The Body Shop is another great place to stock up on goods to pamper yourself with, including sweet-smelling body lotions and essential oils. Put your feet up, watch your favourite show and treat yourself to a relaxing day at home.
Take a leisurely stroll
Home to an excellent selection of natural landscapes, Adelaide makes for the perfect backdrop to a peaceful walk. The city centre is stunning to walk around, and it’s relatively easy to get from one place to the next. Take a relaxing stroll through Adelaide’s Himeji Garden, which was a gift from Adelaide’s Japanese sister city, Himeji. It’s extremely peaceful and a great little oasis amidst the hustle and bustle of the CBD. The Adelaide Botanic Garden is also a lovely option if you feel like stretching your legs amongst some beautiful scenery. Alternatively, you can bask in the sunshine along the River Torrens, which is nestled between the Adelaide CBD and North Adelaide. No matter where you choose to go, Adelaide is a great city for a leisurely stroll.
Reach new heights at TreeClimb
Sometimes, getting your adrenaline pumping is a great way to take your mind off what’s stressing you out. If you’re up for a little excitement, TreeClimb in Adelaide’s CBD is a great way to get it. It’s Australia’s first inner-city adventure park and features various rope courses for the thrill-seeker in all of us. Get your mind off your studies and live a little with this exhilarating and challenging day out. Plus, it’s only $35 for students!
Visit Adelaide Central Market
Adelaide Central Market is incredibly famous – and for good reason! With over 70 traders under one roof, it is one of the biggest undercover fresh produce markets in the Southern Hemisphere. It’s home to a variety of shops where you can find an array of goods. Tasty Asian treats, delicious French pastries, cured meats, fresh foods – you name it and you’ll find it here. Spend an hour or an entire afternoon viewing the goods on display and chatting with the local vendors (who knows, if you’re friendly enough, they might even give you a discount!). Soaking up the sights and smells of the Central Market and grabbing yourself a treat while you’re at it is a great study break.
Treat yourself to a massage
Massages are a proven way to relieve stress and help you unwind. Massages actually trigger a relaxation response in the body, forcing it to slow down. This kind of treatment is also really helpful for your mental health, as it stimulates the receptors, nerves and hormones responsible for mood regulation.
If you’ve got the funds to splurge a little, consider paying a visit to one of Adelaide’s popular day spas for a massage treatment. Some of the best include:
- Endota Spa – With locations in both Rundle Mall and North Adelaide, this spa chain is accessible to people living across the city. Here, you can get a relaxing 30-minute massage for around $70.
- Healing Arts Studio – Located in the heart of the Adelaide CBD, this spa take a holistic approach to healing. Relieve your stress with a 45-minute massage for $88.
- Clarity Massage & Wellness – Widely considered one of North Adelaide’s best day spas, this is an ideal place to be pampered. With a wide range of services available, you can choose the one that suits you best.
Photo courtesy of AEDA.
Adelaide Economic Development Agency (AEDA) is a City of Adelaide (CoA) subsidiary designed to accelerate economic growth in the Adelaide CBD and North Adelaide. The driving force behind the CoA’s recovery and reinvigoration, you can learn more about AEDA here.