Following an announcement by the Australian Government on Monday 20 July 2020, a number of significant changes were made to student visa arrangements, affecting international students in Australia and prospective students across the globe.
Insider Guides were extremely fortunate to be joined by Matthew Noble, Director of Student and Graduate Visas Section at the Department of Home Affairs, to explain these changes, and explore what they all mean for international students both in Australia and overseas.
We also welcomed Varsha Devi Balakrishnan, National Secretary of the Council of International Students Australia, to share your frequently asked questions about student visas.
Due to the changing nature of this information, this webinar was not recorded.
Visa resources for international students
- The Department of Home Affairs: COVID-19 and the border – Updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak
- The Department of Home Affairs: Coming to Australia – Information for offshore students
- Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) – This temporary visa lets you stay in Australia to work if you are employed in a critical industry sector
- No further stay waiver – If you cannot depart Australia as planned due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, you need to maintain a valid visa. If your visa has a No Further Stay condition, you will need to request, and be granted, a waiver using the online No Further Stay waiver request form before you make a new visa application
- COVID-19 Impacted Students form – To be submitted with visa applications when seeking the visa fee waiver. You can read more about this here
- The Department of Home Affairs: Check visa details and conditions
For updates and advice regarding student visas, explore:
- The Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Council of International Students Australia
- Council of International Students Australia – LinkedIn
- Study in Australia: International Student Support
- Insider Guides: Changes to Student Visa Arrangements in Australia
- Insider Guides: What is the New Visa Application Fee Waiver and How do I Apply?
During the webinar we polled attendees on the following questions:
- Has your visa status changed due to COVID-19?
- Do you feel that you have been able to find information about visa changes easily?
- Where do you go/who do you seek to help answer your questions about student visas?