Download our guides Preparing and planning Accommodation Money and banking Cost of living Visas Employment Health and safety Language Life in Australia Studying Getting around Travel Careers Advertise

How to Find a Private Rental

Private rental

This article is sponsored by Fast Connect

Once you have decided where to study in Australia, your next step is to find accommodation that suits your needs. If you are an independent person, a private rental could be the perfect option. Living in a private rental is also an excellent way to fully immerse yourself in Australian culture, as living with locals will definitely broaden your horizons in your new city.

There are lots of things to consider when looking for private accommodation such as your budget, the location and whether you want to move into an existing share house or get your own place. Here are our top tips for finding a private rental.

Finding a new private rental

If you plan to live alone, or you already have a group of friends you would like to move in with, securing a new rental is a great idea. Applying for a new private rental can require more time and paperwork than moving into an existing share house, but it will also give you more control over your living situation.

Where to look

Check the individual real estate websites in your city, as well as realestate.com.au or domain.com.au. On these websites, you can filter your search according to your preferences, such as property type, number of bedrooms and price. To avoid complicated or unfair rental arrangements, stay away from unregulated private rentals that are not arranged through a real estate agent.

What to look out for

When you start your accommodation search, it is important to consider the highest rent you are willing to pay and what type of household you and the other housemates want to live in. Some people prefer an apartment with ensuite bathrooms, while others like to have a large backyard. Some people want a quiet, tidy, calm house while others want a more casual, noisy, social household. It is best to agree on this before you are all living together.

When it comes to checking the house or apartment itself, things to consider include:

  • Doors and windows open and close properly, and whether they’re secure
  • Appliances (such as the stove and dishwasher) are in good working order
  • Mould or parasites lurking in certain areas
  • Security measures, like safe locks or keypad entry
  • If you have a car, whether there’s enough parking
  • Whether you like the neighbourhood, and if the property is noisy
  • Smoke detectors are in working order
  • The level of maintenance needed at the property, especially if it has a garden

Make sure to double-check the bond and lease conditions before you apply for a rental. Most will require four weeks’ rent as a bond as well as the first fortnight’s rent when you move in.

How to apply

Make sure to get all your documents together before you apply for your new house.  Check the real estate agent’s website for the full list of documents required – the landlord or agent will probably need copies of your personal identification, like a driver’s licence, as well as employment details and rental references.

If you do not have a rental history in Australia, you will need to provide evidence that you can pay the rent, which could include an employment contract, payslips or character references. You may also be asked to provide the name and signature of a guarantor who will be legally responsible for paying the rent if for some reason you are not able to pay. Be honest in your application and give as much detail as possible to have the best chance of securing a house.

Finding a room in a share house

Finding a room in an existing share house can be easier than applying for a new place, especially if you a looking for a short-term stay. Moving into an existing share house also often comes with less financial responsibility, depending on whether you are added to the lease by the landlord or not.

Think carefully about who you want to live with. Some share houses are a good fit for relaxed, social people looking to make new friends and have new experiences. Other share houses are quieter, with each housemate living more independently from one another.

Where to look

Check out websites such as flatmatefinders.com.au or flatmates.com.au in your city, and look up share house groups on social media. Your educational institution will probably have a share house Facebook group as well as the local Buy, Swap and Sell group, so ask around to find the best place to start looking. Also, let everyone know on your social media networks that you are looking for a room – friends of friends are always looking for a new housemate.

What to look out for

Before you move into a room in a share house, you should check out the room and meet your potential housemates to get a feel for how you would get along. You will need to adapt to the current housemates’ way of doing things, so ask yourself what kind of environment you want to live in. Are you a social person, or do you prefer more time alone? Ask the current housemates about house rules and whether they share meals or like to host parties.

Before you sign anything, find out about the bond and lease conditions set by the landlord. If you have to pay a bond, make sure you ask for a receipt to keep as evidence.

How to apply

The process of applying for a room in a share house varies, and some are more formal than others. Again, you will need your ID, employment details and rental references.

If your name is added to the lease, you will be responsible for paying the rent if one of the other housemates fails to pay, so you must make clear what your obligations are before you move in. Make sure you sign some form of agreement with your other housemates and the landlord to establish your financial responsibilities. You can find a template on flatmates.com.au.

Fast Connect is free, easy to use, and the fastest way to get your accounts set up; you can connect your electricity, gas, internet and Pay-TV with just one form. Plus, Fast Connect can even organise an Australian SIM card to be delivered to your new address when you move in! Click here to find out how you can get $50 off your first energy bill.