2.5% increase to minimum wages
Following the Annual Wage Review 2021, the Fair Work Commission announced a 2.5% increase to the national minimum wage and all award wages. The increase to award wages is happening in 3 stages.
Most employees are covered by an award. If you’re not sure which award applies, use the Fair Work Ombudsman’s Find my award tool. If you’re covered by a registered agreement, you should check it to see whether this increase affects you.
The new national minimum wage for employees who are 21 years or over is $20.33 per hour or $25.41 for casual employees.
When will the increases apply?
The increase to the national minimum wage and most awards applied from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2021.
The increase for the Retail Award will apply from the first full pay period on or after 1 September 2021.
21 awards will increase from the first full pay period on or after 1 November 2021.
More information about the Annual Wage Review 2021 is available on the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website.
Fair Work Information Statement and Casual Employment Information Statement
When you start a job, your employer has to give you a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
Got a question or want to stay up to date with changes to workplace laws?
To contact the Fair Work Ombudsman or get important news about pay rates and conditions you can:
- Subscribe here to get email updates from the Fair Work Ombudsman
- Register with My account to get updates that are tailored to you or to contact the Fair Work Ombudsman online
- Follow the Fair Work Ombudsman on Twitter or Facebook
- Check the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website
- Call the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94. You can also contact them via the free translating and interpreting service on 13 14 50.