If you’re reading this, it’s likely you’re planning to study in Australia. Well, you’re in for a treat! Australia is a beautiful country and an incredibly popular study destination, but it can be difficult to settle in if you don’t know much about the place. This pre-departure kit is designed to help you better understand Australia’s states, cities, culture and lifestyle. It will also help you take care of the serious stuff, such as getting a bank account, finding a part-time job, securing accommodation and more.
We know it’s daunting to move overseas to study, but it’s also exciting! Check out our city guides to gain the local knowledge you need to approach your study experience with confidence.
Where can I find accommodation?
You can stay in a private rental (either alone or with housemates), in a homestay with a family, in managed student accommodation, or in a residential college. Each option has its own unique benefits and drawbacks.
- Use our Accommodation Finder Service to be connected to best-practice student accommodation providers in Australia
- Learn about your accommodation options in Australia
- Discover what all international students need to know before renting
- Find out some tips on how to be a great housemate
- Familiarise yourself with must-ask questions when looking for accommodation
How do I set up a bank account?
Part of this process can be done online before you arrive, with the final identification checks done in person when you arrive. If you wait until you arrive in Australia to open an account, simply head into a local bank and let them know you’re an international student and would like to open an account.
How do I get connected in Australia?
While you’re in Australia, you’ll probably want to stay connected with your friends and family, both locally and internationally. Learn how to get started by purchasing a SIM, or a phone plan, and evaluating your other communication options.
How can I find a job?
Whether you need a job to support you while you study, or you’re looking for work when you graduate, finding a job is not easy. Discover ways to increase your chances of finding work, and why you need to understand your work rights in Australia.
- 7-Step Guide to Get a Job in Australia
- Short Courses To Help You Get a Job
- Employment: Secret Advantages Of International Students
- Top 5 Mistakes Students Make on Resumes
What else do I need to know about employment?
While on a student visa you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester and unlimited hours during semester break.
What should I know about Australian culture?
Australia is a diverse and accepting country that has evolved from Indigenous and British roots to now represent people from a range of cultures.
How can I make friends with locals?
With so many different social and cultural norms, it can be a bit overwhelming and confusing to make friends in a new country. Learn how to break down barriers and build a diverse friendship group.
What is the study environment like?
Understanding the structure and demands of studying in Australia is crucial to success.
How do I maintain my health?
If you’re going to enjoy the best of Australia, you need to be fit and healthy! Remember, in a non-emergency situation you should attend a health clinic and not a hospital.
- Frequently Asked Questions – International Student Healthcare
- How to Relieve Stress Without Spending a Cent
- Eight Clever Ways to Beat the Flu
- Resources for LGBTI International Students
- Taking Care Of Your Mental Health
- Tips For Curing Homesickness
How can I stay safe in Australia?
Australia is generally a very safe country, however being aware of some risks is always handy.
Discovering Your City
How do I get around my new city?
Whether you are walking, riding a bike, catching public transport or driving a car, you need to know what is the best way to get from A to B.