Having the right information is crucial to securing the best outcome in so many situations. As an international student, you want to know how to travel around Australia as cheaply as possible and also learn how to save money on a trip home.
Here are our top 5 money saving tips to help you out:
1. Use Rome2Rio to compare flights and alternative options
1. Head to Rome2Rio and choose your locations. This Melbourne-based startup shows you all of your travel options between two locations. This includes all airlines as well as alternatives, like taking a train or bus.
2. Select your dates and view your travel options
3. Click to book directly through the airline
4. Remove all unnecessary options (consider leaving the carbon offset and donation though)
5. Pay with Polipay to avoid fees
2. Use the Jetstar Price Guarantee
If another airline has a cheaper price on the same route within an hour of a Jetstar flight, they will beat it by 10%. Just record where you found the cheaper price and start a live chat with Jetstar on their site.
3. Sign up to airline mailing lists to learn of flight deals
Sometimes you don’t have exact plans in mind but might travel if you discover a good deal.
Mailing lists ensure you always hear about sales.
4. Learn the regular sale times of the different airlines
Some airlines release sale fares at the same time every week:
- Jetstar – Every Friday 4 – 8 pm AEST
- Virgin – Every Thursday 4 – 8 pm AEST
5. Consider using an expert for bigger trips
If you are planning an overseas trip, then it might be worth considering FlightFox. For a small fee, they provide you with a specialist online travel expert. They know amazing tips and tricks that can end up saving you serious cash!